Wednesday, April 18, 2012

V is for Victory

This past Sunday I had my first "V" in triathlon. Sure, I've won my age group. But this time I was first female overall, and it was just the confidence booster I needed to kick my season off.

I could come up with all sorts of reasons why I won; no one showed up that day who was good, it was just a sprint, it was a first-year race back after a 10 year hiatus... but why would I do that to myself? A V is a V, and I earned it. That said, I do realize that I still have a lot of work to do before Nationals in August.

The next step to still having fun is finding cool, fun, helpful vendors to sponsor me. This sport is expensive and I love it, but to continue to be able to compete, I need help. I tried to apply, but was shot down, many times for no good reason other than they already have too many athletes. Well, considering all I want is some product (primarily nutrition) and a few race entries, I really don't think that's too much to ask. I use countless brands; Hammer Nutrition, GU, Powerbar, Honey Stinger, New Balance, Garmin, Pearl Izumi, TYR, BlueSeventy... the list goes on, and I've had to pay for it all.

So, if other "lesser" athletes can get sponsorship, surely I can. My issue?

I didn't use my curves!
Shoot, if those curvy lines aren't helping me race and aren't going away without lipo and a boob job, I'm gonna use those puppies to my advantage. If it's one thing I do well, it's knowing how to "clean up". One of my great assets lies in not only living the life of a hard core athlete, but at the end of the day I can pull off the latest runway attire with Manolo's on and LOVE it! Photoshoot, here I come.

Moving on. Sleep. Good food. Train smart. Keep pushing. Never settle for less than you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment