Thursday, February 21, 2013

Leveling Up

It's been one month since I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and I went back in to the lab this week to have my numbers re-tested after being on constipatingly high doses of iron for the past 4 weeks. I haven't received full results yet, but at first glance, my blood is looking much healthier. The fun part is that I didn't really need the test to tell me that - my workouts have been feeling respectively better as well and that is exciting. I will find out my ferritin levels tomorrow and hemoglobin, which will tell me the "big picture". Just in time for Napa Valley Marathon taper!

Next week marks the beginning of an exciting tri season - the most challenging I will have met. There is something so intimidating yet so exhilarating about it. My goal this year is to take one race at a time and recognize that not every race is my "A" race. They all have a purpose, as does each training session through every week. Competitive athletes are not good at this, as we all seem to want to go out to win every race, but having a plan and sticking to it so the most important/biggest race is our best one is the key to success.

I continue to hold my head high and lead the best example I can in the local tri community, and in supporting my peers, I support myself. A positive attitude goes a long way, and it's the best way I can think of to start off a stellar season of racing. Here's to reaching the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment