Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Progressing Past Hurdles

The past 4 months since my last post have been stuffed full of all sorts of stuff, mostly good, some not so good. All life.

One of the caveats to being in recovery and not training as much as usual is that you can work more. The bum side to that is now that I'm back in action, more work is not conducive to training. I'm having to find balance all over again, and it's tough.

The number one goal I set this year was to get healthy and strong so I can kick butt racing again next year, which is exactly what I needed to make sure I didn't push too soon to race, risking injury. However, since there are no races on the schedule until mid-September, the drive to train isn't really that strong. It has been a nice mental break though, and I welcome a summer of playing in my sport instead of racing every other weekend in it. The work is also a well-needed problem to have and because of the extra freelance load I've been able to take on during recovery, I've managed to pay off 99% of my surgery-related bills before June.

As the summer draws closer, and the load my body can handle increases, it's easier to get out and put some time in to regaining fitness - I've already noticed a significant increase in my strength and endurance, especially cardiovascular. Of course, just when I start to think it will never happen, I have a good day that makes all the work worth it, like kicking my boyfriend's butt up Barr Trail this past weekend (sorry John).

Speaking of noticing progress, I'm so thankful for Hammer Nutrition for supporting me through my recovery journey - what a great full-spectrum of products! I love knowing that what I'm fueling and nourishing myself with makes a difference - one I can see, feel and pass on to others. I've been honored to represent them at a few ladies' nights in town and love sharing the benefits of such a great company and product line. That is another huge motivation to continue on my path to regaining fitness!

The best thing about being active again: stress relief. What a great remedy endorphins are for life's drama! As my friend and mentor Mimi always says, "blow a bubble and move on"... well, I blow a lot of bubbles on my swims, bikes and runs - without those sessions, the bubbles would be hard to blow without a major amount of brain damage.

In a few weeks I will go back for my 24-week post op and hopefully not have any issues requiring my surgeon in the future. It's been a long road - completely different than any other I've been on - but it's been a good experience. If I've learned anything, it's to appreciate what you have when you have it and that patience is definitely a virtue.

Oh, and in case you're wondering... the butt cheeks are shrinking. More slowly than I would like, but that's progress in a nutshell!

No comments:

Post a Comment