Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Learning Lessons: Finding Strength and Balance

One of the many things I've learned this past year is that when you're attempting to balance 2 jobs, training and a social life of sorts, something has to give... which is why I haven't posted since February!

Many updates in this post. First, my season. I finished 2 weeks ago with a strong 4th female overall finish at the S.O.S. Triathlon in upstate New York - and less than 30 seconds behind 3rd place in a 5:10:00 race. Despite my sub-par training schedule, consistency is king, along with excellent nutrition (Thanks HAMMER!).

I'm happy with my S.O.S. finish as my 1/2 distance in May didn't turn out so well. Although I managed a 3rd place age group finish then, it wasn't pretty. Freezing cold, no energy, slow. Much different than the 3rd overall finish I had just pulled out the week before. I rebounded quite a bit by August in the Rocky Mountain Triathlon, placing 2nd female overall and regaining some much-needed confidence.

The sub-par training is the result of work and committee meetings, but without work I wouldn't have any means of paying for this strenuous habit, so there's not much I can complain about. Finding balance for everything has been the hard part. Oh, and did I mention I bought a house with my significant other? We've been working on house projects on top of everything - landscaping, painting, etc for the past several months... as if I didn't have anything else to do. But it's all fun, because it's OUR house!

Take THAT, ex! (refer to previous post about horrible ex)

There's a saying that goes something like, "If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person." The funny thing about that is I feel like when I have a lot on my plate, I always figure out an efficient way to get it all done, yet when I have time to myself, I find that I procrastinate more...hmm.

So here I am at 9:20pm, after a full day at work, followed by a few hours of freelance, dinner, cleaning house, dog-playing, housewares shopping... I have a few minutes before heading to bed and hopefully wind down by reading a little. Perfect time to update the blog.

In reflection of the past several BUSY months, it's been a learning lesson in strength and balance; emotional and physical strength, work-play balance. Life will never be perfect, and just like house projects, nothing is ever finished, but rather a continuous work of art - constantly moving, changing and evolving.

As I hit another milestone birthday in just a few months, I look forward to what life has in store this coming year. I'm thankful I have an amazing man to share this life with, and I'm thankful for my ever-evolving career path and friends, weird and loving family, and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment